Anwar: Sept 16 target may not be achieved

The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s targeted date of Sept 16 to capture the Government may not be achieved due to anticipated problems delaying the transition of power.

“After discussing with PAS and DAP, the date can be postponed even though our target was Sept 16 previously.

“However, I believe the present Government will find it difficult to quell the uproar of the rakyat,” Anwar said during his speech after a solat tawarikh and hajat ceremony at his home here last night. [more]

Advertisements

Anwar Ibrahim’s Sodomy Case Postponed, but Case Venue Moved

Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim speaks to the press after attending his sodomy case hearing in the Sessions Court in Kuala Lumpur Wednesday.

The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution wants to transfer Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy case from the Sessions Court where he was charged last month to the High Court.

But the defence objected to the move saying it was unnecessary and that the transfer certificate had been signed by Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail, who was to have no involvement in the case.

Lead counsel Sulaiman Abdullah complained about the shabby treatment by the prosecution, who only informed the defence about the transfer application at the eleventh hour.

“We asked them what was the plan and up to Tuesday, we were told that there was no decision.

“On Tuesday afternoon, senior DPP (and AG’s Chambers head of prosecution) Datuk Mohd Yusof Zainal Abiden was kind enough to call me to say that they most probably would ask for a transfer.

“Only 10 minutes ago when DPP Mohd Yusof appeared in court were we informed that they were indeed going to ask for a transfer,” the veteran lawyer said.

Describing the move as an “ambush”, Sulaiman said it left the defence to argue “practically out of the air.” [more]

The Barisan Nasional Hide and Seek Game: MPs get green light to go on overseas study trip

KUALA LUMPUR: Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said Barisan Nasional had given its backbenchers the green light to go on an overseas study tour this month.

Najib, who is the BN chief whip, said he approved the study trip.

“I approve anything that is constructive. It (the study tour) is a programme initiated by the BN Backbenchers’ Club. It is up to them.

“It will be a good opportunity for our backbenchers to learn something,” he said yesterday after launching the Rakan Cop National Service programme.

Najib said the public should not read too much into the trip scheduled on the eve of Sept 16, the date opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has said would see him forming the next government.

Anwar needs 30 backbenchers to defect to topple BN and the sudden nature of the trip has sparked speculation that the BN leadership was sending backbenchers away to pre-empt crossovers.

Yesterday, Najib quashed such talk and Anwar’s plans to form a new government on Sept 16.

Doctor: No evidence of sodomy

Asiaone

KUALA LUMPUR – The doctor who examined Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan after the latter had lodged a police report alleging he had been sodomised by Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has resurfaced to “set the record straight.”

Pusrawi Hospital’s Dr Mohamed Osman Abdul Hamid, reaffirmed statements he had made in a statutory declaration he had filed on June 28, saying that he had found no evidence of sodomy in his examination.

“I am standing by the SD that I have made. There have been a lot of media statements that have put me in a bad light both professionally and personally.

“Please be assured that I had merely done my job as a doctor. I am not involved in politics and I will always tell the truth,” Dr Mohamed Osman said at a press conference Thursday. He was accompanied by his lawyers M. Puravalen and Yusri Kamarudin at the Bar Council in Leboh Pasar Besar here.

His statutory declaration was leaked to Malaysia Today and published in the news portal on July 28, after which the Myanmar national took one month’s leave from the hospital and apparently fled the country.

The doctor said he has no knowledge of how his medical examination report on Mohd Saiful, who has alleged that he was sodomised by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, was circulated to the media and Internet.

“I don’t know how the information got out and I don’t know Mohd Saiful in a personal capacity.’ [more]

Opposition chooses Anwar as new Opposition Leader

The Star,
By ELIZABETH LOOI

KUALA LUMPUR: PKR whip Azmin Ali (PKR – Gombak) submitted a letter to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia at 4pm Wednesday that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is chosen to be the new Opposition Leader.

The letter was signed by Azmin as PKR whip, Dr Tan Seng Giaw as DAP whip and Datuk Seri Hadi Awang, president of PAS.

The Dewan would be announcing Anwar, who has just won the Permatang Pauh parliamentary seat, as the new Opposition Leader on Thursday, after he is sworn in. [more]

Anwar Ibrahim Promises More Responsible Budget

Forbes

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim on Tuesday slammed a widening deficit in the government’s 2009 budget that sparked concerns over Malaysia’s economic health and vowed to unveil a more responsible budget if he topples the ruling coalition this month.

Anwar, who was re-elected to Parliament last week, said his plans to seize power from the National Front coalition through parliamentary defections by Sept. 16 remains on track.

He said he has held talks with ruling party lawmakers and the response was “very good” but declined to elaborate.

“If we can form a government within this short period, then a new (2009) budget will be introduced,” Anwar told reporters. “We are not proceeding with this irresponsible expansionary budget.”

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on Friday unveiled a record 208 billion ringgit ($62 billion) budget for 2009, with wide-ranging aid for the poor and higher development spending amid sharply higher inflation.

The fiscal deficit is forecast to balloon to 4.8 percent of gross domestic product this year and 3.6 percent in 2009, from 3.2 percent in 2007.

Anwar said the 4.8 percent deficit was untenable as there were little measures in the budget to boost the country’s productivity and economic competitiveness. [more]

Anwar: No more Bumiputra

Straits Times

KUALA LUMPUR – MALAYSIAN opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim said on Tuesday he would dismantle controversial positive-discrimination policies for Muslim Malays if he seizes power in the multicultural country.

He said he would replace the New Economic Policy (NEP) launched in the early 1970s with a system to boost all poor Malaysians, whether they are majority Malays or from the minority Chinese and Indian communities.

‘We will do everything in our power and disposal to help and assist the poor and the marginalised, which means the vast majority of the Malays and the poor Chinese and the poor Indians, but we do it on a needs basis,’ Mr Anwar said.

He also promised to abandon the Approved Permits (AP) scheme for importing cars, which it is claimed has corruptly enriched a small number of Malay entrepreneurs.

‘Those talking about Malay dominance would realise that the AP is a classic case where the Malays and the Malay name has been abused, raped and plundered by the few,’ he told a press conference.
[more]